Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Why did the mouse cross the road?

Today I was riding in a car (which I was reminded that I'm not especially good at... another thing about my driving situation that kinda makes my wife crazy - and very understandably so)...

Anyhow, (maybe I use parenthesis too much... hey! stop that!)

But we're driving down a major suburban road, having a nice conversation - my eyes never fully leaving the road because of my 'condition' (see previous post) - and there he was!

A mouse, crossing a five-lane road in broad daylight.

...

You really don't know who to root for in that situation.
I mean, on the one hand you've got a small rodent that you know is going to live somewhere that's not a field - there are no fields for fieldmice where we saw this little fella - he's not going to win any sanitation awards.
On the other hand, that's gotta be one of the boldest things I've seen in a while. A mouse? Crossing 5 lanes of traffic? The size/weight ratios here between him and ANY car on that road have to be astronomical!

...

It got me thinking about what it must be like to be that mouse:
Setting out on a journey that everyone expects to be doomed from the start.
Knowing that once you step off the curb you'd better not look back.
Realizing that you've got no other choice... than to run with the odds.

Unfortunately there are a lot of people who are having to live their lives like this. Through no fault of their own, the road is broad in front of them and they've got (at least) five lanes to get across before they come to the other side. Then, you realize, there's another curb to jump.

My prayers are with these people.

...the mouse made it across. With God's help, they can too.


...

No comments:


The White Pigeon Hope - Seeking to "Normalize" the work of the Holy Spirit since 2008.